NSWC Crane Division, IN History
Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division provides technical support for sensors, electronics, electronic warfare and special warfare systems across three specific focus areas: Special Missions, Strategic Missions, and Electronic Warfare/Information Operations. It is under command of NAVSEA.
In 1941, the Bureau of Ordnance commissioned Crane Division as the Naval Ammunition Depot for production, testing, and storage of ordnance. In the 1960s, it came under the command of the Naval Ordnance Systems Command, which later merged with the Naval Ship Systems Command to create NAVSEA. In 1977, the Crane Army Ammunition Activity (CAAA) became a tenant of Crane Division when the Army was designated the single-service manager of conventional ammunition.
This is the 3rd largest Navy installation in the world in terms of area. Of its 3,000 employees, almost 75% are scientists, engineers and technicians. The special missions for Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division are training, special munitions and weapons, sensors and communications, and mobility and maneuverability.