NSWC Crane Division, IN Housing and Relocation Information

    Housing Information 
    On-base housing is not available at NSWC Crane Division, but could possibly be found at NSA Crane. The military provides two options for the use of your Basic Allowance For Housing (BAH). The first option is living on base. Your second option is using your BAH to rent or buy a home off base. 

    • The NSA Crane Housing Services Office (812) 854-3339. Contact the HSO as soon as you know you are moving. You will be provided with the latest information on local housing as well as referral services and relocation assistance. They offer counseling and guidance before entering into a lease agreement and help resolve tenant-landlord disputes. 

    NSWC Crane Division On Base Housing

    • The NSA Crane Unaccompanied Personnel Housing office can be reached at (812) 854-1176.

    • NSWC Crane Division on-base housing may be provided at NSA Crane, which is privatized and operated by Hunt Military Communities (844) 879-9367. They have 2-5 bedroom homes based on rank and family size. Homes may include a finished basement, washer/dryer hookups, centeral AC and patio or balcony. The community features a swimming pool, playgrounds, walking/jogging trails, access to the base marina and more.

    NSWC Crane Division, IN Off Base Housing

    10532 E 700 S 3 Bed / 3 Bath / 2,116 Sq.Ft. / $479,500 | Home for Sale 100 miles from

    260 E. Church St 2 Bed / 1 Bath / $575 | Home for Rent 9.7 miles from Crane (Main) gate

    Helpful links for buying a home near NSWC Crane Division, IN:

    Surrounding Areas
    Crane is so small a town it would barely register on the map, if it weren't for the warfare center. This rural, remote area of Indiana has just a few small to medium-sized communities in the vicinity of base. These include Washington, Loogootee, Odon, Bicknell, Owensburg, and Linton, which are all within about a 30 minute commute. Bloomington, the state's 6th largest city, is 50 minutes northeast of Crane. Indianapolis, the capital and largest city in Indiana, is about 1.5 hours north. Multiple sources believe "Indy" has one of America's best downtown's, beyond being known for its love of car racing and basketball.

    About the Installation
    Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division is home to many support functions for the United States Navy including fleet maintenance and modernization, expeditionary warfare system, power systems, surface and airborne electronic warfare, and undersea warfare systems. Crane is also developing systems for the Littoral Combat Ship and the DD(X) class of Navy destroyer. The special missions for this base are training, special munitions and weapons, sensors and communications, and mobility and maneuverability. Crane Division is located about 25 miles from Bloomington, Indiana, adjacent to the Naval Support Activity Crane facility. For more information click here.